Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Summer Solstice in SL

While logging in a week or so ago, I received a notecard invitation to a summer solstice celebration and thought it sounded interesting.  The events were taking place over the weekend of June 21 and June 22 on the Rocca Sorrentina sim in conjunction with the Feast of St. Giovanni.  I later learned that Rocca Sorrentina is a historical Italian sim, and I was pleasantly surprised at the welcoming I received from its friendly residents as well as the lovely town.

To start off my visit, I decided to embark on one of the cruises to France.  I boarded one of the last ships out, as I could not get into SL until the evening.  I was the only passenger, but the captain was happy to have me aboard and presented me with some background history on our ports. 

After my round-trip cruise because I wanted to attend more of the solstice events in Rocca Sorrentina, I headed toward the market square and took a pleasant stroll through the pretty town.  I noticed signs for the tarot card reader and found her parlor at the time indicated for the evening readings.  I was a bit early, but she was there, and I scheduled an appointment.  When my time arrived, I joined her in her tent and requested a 3-card reading.  While there was a fee for this service, it was mostly entertaining, although some of her suggestions to me seemed accurate. 

After the reading, I strolled the town some more and visited the church which was festooned with flowers and beautiful religious paintings.  I also found the library that, as a librarian, I especially enjoyed with its lovely decor.  Lastly, I walked among the gardens of the castle and saw the dance area set for the following day's Sunflower Ball.


I returned the following evening and joined the dancers at the Sunflower Ball.  The music was enchanting, and I was welcomed by the town residents again. 

I look forward to future events in Rocca Sorrentina and am told that there are numerous educational and literary ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment